Tigers leave shooting boots at home in late loss

AN injury-plagued Bay Tigers outfit let slip a 10-point second-half lead to go down 24-22 in heartbreaking fashion against the Berry-Shoalhaven Heads Magpies at Mackay Park on Sunday.Two converted tries inside the final 15 minutes from the visitors secured what looked like an unlikely win after they defended for a vast majority of the second half.“Being honest, it was terrible,” Magpies coach Adam Hayburn said.“It was one of our worst games.”Berry showed more energy in the opening exchanges and kept the Tigers, who were again without Willy Newton and Grant Roberts, camped well inside their own half.With fullback Sean Deaves directing traffic, the Magpies had the ball for what seemed like an eternity only for the Bay defence to hold strong.The Tigers didn’t have an attacking play until the 16th minute but it was a fruitful one as Adam Stone weaved through two defenders to put Lee Baghurst in the corner for 6-nil.Then, five minutes later, Jared Wood-Johnston took control in the centre of the field and sent a long ball to Ricky Leighton, who reached out and slammed down for 10-nil.That awoke the Magpies from their slumber and they hit back with two converted tries inside the last seven minutes of the first half.Dean Tyson scored untouched after a Tigers mistake and then, 90 seconds before the break, Chris McCarron was rewarded for a neat chip kick when he scored under the posts.However, the Tigers starved their opposition of the ball after the break and regained the lead in the 46th minute when Scott Ladmore barged over.Stone then fooled everyone in the 52nd minute when he faked to go one way before darting in the other direction to score out wide for 18-12.Four minutes later it was 22-12 when Gerard Dennis scored from Rhys Burazor’s neat pass.But three consecutive missed conversions would cost the Tigers as Berry hit back through Aaron Pont in the 66th minute and Deaves eight minutes from time to complete a thrilling comeback.“That shows the importance of having a good goal kicker,” Tigers coach Deryck Fox said.“We scored five tries and kicked one goal.“It was a morale sapper; we’ve had some mistakes that cost us but it’d be nice if it went our way for once.”Follow @Dean_Benson14NoneThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.