GUTTED – Cafe destroyed in blaze

DEVASTATED: Glen Hair tries to come to terms with the loss of his cafe Passion at South Nowra on Friday.GLEN AND Kim Hair’s South Nowra Cafe Passion was destroyed by fire in the early hours of Friday morning.The fire is believed to have started in the rear storage area of the building.The cafe, on the Princes Highway at South Nowra, is adjoined by three other businesses.The owners were devastated after having put six years into building up their business.“I’m trying to come to grips with it all and I’ve really got mixed emotions. I don’t know how I feel,” Mr Hair said on Friday.“I’m thankful nobody was injured and that the fire was stopped before it spread to the other businesses.“We still don’t know how it started but the building is devastated from one end to the other.“We are well and truly shut.”The couple are well known supporters of community organisations and charities throughout the Shoalhaven.They used their cafe as a venue for local artists to display their work.A recently hung exhibition was destroyed by the fire.Mr Hair thanked his fellow business owners for the support they have offered.Firefighters were called to the building just after 1am.Nowra station officer Ian Walters said there were flames coming from the rear windows and smoke coming from the roof.“On arrival it was clear our priority was to knock the fire down and then try to stop it spreading through the common roof to those other tenants.“It was a good save in that sense – it was just getting into the roof when we arrived.“I think another three minutes the fire would have moved through the roof space into the other tenants’ businesses.“The security guard did well to call us so quickly.“The fire is still under investigation but I believe it may have been an electrical fault,” he said.While firefighters were battling the blaze at Passion Cafe they got another call to a house fire on the corner of Greenwell Point Road and Millbank Road.Mr Walters said a detached garage was on fire at the property.“It turned out to be the same house I attended about 10 days ago.“This time it was the garage.“The gentleman had a generator running in the garage and the fire could have been started by an electrical fault with it.”This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.