Late try secures win in tough conditions

Illawarra District Rugby UnionVincentia17Wollondilly 12THE South Coast Liquid Treatment and The Huskisson Vincentia Van Goghs hosted the Wollondilly Waratahs at Van Gogh Park in round nine of the Illawarra District Rugby Union competition on Saturday.After a well deserved rest over the June long weekend both teams were enthusiastic and raring to play running rugby, however the conditions dampened both teams’ game plans as the rain set in on the match.From the whistle the Van Goghs were determined to shut down all early attacking raids by the Waratahs.The Waratahs were soon to realise that the in-form Van Goghs would not be taken lightly.In the opening phases both teams went head to head through heavy collisions attempting to dominate at the break down.The Van Goghs forward pack stepped up to provide protection and support for half back Luke Kingmah, who was able to control the break down with his direct service despite the soggy conditions, and put his running forwards into space.As the Van Goghs continued to build pressure they were able to move the ball through the hands to the elusive and slippery Tom Hewson.This would not be the first time Hewson was to test the Waratahs outside backs.Although the Van Goghs were able to retain early possession the Waratahs also showed attacking flare that kept Bevo and The Wolfman on their toes on their respective flanks.As the game rolled between both teams’ 22s the Van Goghs forwards were able to pierce the line creating space for captain Bendall to pop a sleek ball to Hewson who crashed over out wide to open scoring for the match. Hewson’s try was successfully converted by Matt Young.The early dominance from the Van Goghs soon turned in favour of the Waratahs with a deft kick behind the Van Gogh’s defence which was swooped upon by an opposing winger who crashed over, leveling the score.The final passage of the first half was dominated by the Waratahs who relentlessly pressured the Van Goghs through tight forward play and busted the Van Goghs defence to score just before the half time break.The score at half time was 12-7 the Waratahs.After stern words by the coach, the Van Goghs settled into the second half with a different game plan in mind.The Van Goghs’ intent was to keep the ball in tight and play the ball through the forwards.Through the explosive running of Nick and Rhys Williams the forwards were able to secure a solid platform for the outside backs.Sussex duo John Walker and lock Russ Libbis were also effective in making metres and were supported by loose forwards Jordon Robinson and Josh Leahy.After continued pressure the Van Goghs were able to open the match up and move the ball wide.A dominant Van Goghs scrum allowed Kingmah to snipe from the scrum base and link up with Karl Rawlins who beat several defenders and crossed the line to score.With the scores locked up at 12-12, Matt Young was unsuccessful in converting the try.As both teams attempted to convert pressure into points and break the score lock, the intensity of the match increased. Both sides heavily engaged at the breakdown and defended aggressively.From a Van Gogh lineout on halfway Kingmah was pinned by the Waratahs defence but was able to release the ball to Walker who spun the ball to a well positioned Young.Through elusive footwork Young successfully beat his man and several others to score in the corner to win the match for the Van Goghs.Best on the day earning three points was hooker Nick Williams who relentlessly punished the Waratahs with his ball running and defence. Shaun Buggs was busy all day under the high ball and had a great kicking game receiving two points and John Walker received one point for his tireless work in the tight work.The Van Goghs Travel to Camden next week in round 10 to take on the Camden Rams.Go Van GoghsThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.