Chill factor zero

TIME FOR A BREAK: young league players, like under Stallions ball-player Boyd McCallum (pictured), are in the midst of the holiday period. Junior league breaks on cool note
Nanjing Night Net

ANOTHER cold and typically windy day, with patches of rain thrown in for good measure, greeted young footballers on the first day of the financial year. It was also the final round of Goulburn Junior Rugby League before the holiday break.

The under 11 zone one team came up against some formidable opposition in Woden Weston. The Goulburn boys went down 40-18. The under 12 zone one team came up against the competition leaders Valley Dragons. The Goulburn boys tried hard all game but eventually went down 20-4.

The under 13 zone one side won a in a great game 18 points to 6 over the Queanbeyan Kangaroos. In the last game of the day, it was the under 14 zone two maroon side that played well in a high scoring game where defence wasn’t the order of the day. They went down 48-30 to South Tuggeranong.

Elsewhere, the under 16s hit a green patch and won their third game in a row by beating Queanbeyan Kangaroos 34-14 on a cold night in Canberra. The under 15s side won convincingly 38-4 against the Belconnen United Sharks. The under 14s Blue defeated Yass 30- 4. In an unusual scoreline, the under 13s Maroon side went down 51-1 (no, you’re imagining things) to Crookwell. The under 11 zone two team lost to Queanbeyan United 38- 6, while the under 10s Blue lost in a close one 24-18 to the same opponent. The under 10 zone three squad won in another close game, 20-16 over Woden Weston

Of all the matches played, the standout was the under 13s’ zone one triumph over the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

Goulburn started the game well and put first points on the board with a great try in the seventh minute to winger Patrick Huber- Walker.

Goulburn continued to play well as a team and was rewarded for their effort when a strong wide run from Cooper Layden saw him crash over for a well deserved try. Queanbeyan hit back with a barnstorming run from their lock forward, who crossed the line to score just before the break. At the interval, Goulburn had a narrow two point lead, 8-6.

Goulburn started the second half nicely and a great inside run from back-rower Joe Roberts saw him cross the try-line unopposed. Goulburn continued playing consistently and when hooker Thomas Menzies dived over for another try, with five-eighth Thomas Condylios converting, the 18-6 victory was sealed.

This was a fine win by the lads and the result of a strong team effort, with committed football prevalent for the entire 50 minutes.

Follow @GoulburnPost





var disqus_shortname = ‘goulburnpost’; // required: replace example with your forum shortname


(function() {

var dsq = document.createElement(‘script’); dsq.type = ‘text/javascript’; dsq.async = true;

dsq.src = ‘http://’ + disqus_shortname + ‘.disqus南京夜网/embed.js’;

(document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’)[0] || document.getElementsByTagName(‘body’)[0]).appendChild(dsq);


This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.